Excerpt from Wild Gales and Tattered Sails:

128) Jennibell, #12975, Schooner, Stranded September 17, 1881.
This widely recognized schooner capsized in "Death's Door" in a souther squall. The Jennibell was carrying green wood and hemlock bark out of Egg Harbor and was abreast of Plum Island when the accident occurred. The Incident was witnessed by Captain Burnham of the tug Gregory, who went to assist. The tug rescued all sailors and took the vessel in tow. Rough water caused here to sink when in the vicinity of Chambers Island due to weight of the green wood. The vessel was commanded by Captain Jacobson and owned by Captain Christianson of Milwaukee. J.J. Barringer owned the cargo. Attempts were made to raise here but she had to abandoned owning to the fact that her anchors were over board.
George O.Spear, the owner of the Gregory, demanded payment from Jacob and C. Christianson, owners of the Jennibell, for services rendered, amounting to about $600. This was refused where upon suit was begun in the United States District Court for the recovery of the amount. The schooner's owner filed a counter suit for $3,000, the value of the vessel. On November 8th and 9th, 1882, the litigants appeared before Judge Hamilton, who took the depositions of both sides and then several witnesses, G.M. Markham appearing for G.O. Spear, the libelant, and G.D. Van Dycke for the respondents, Jacobson and C. Christianson. The arguments were made in favor of Spear who won at least a small portion of what he claimed against the wreck. Owners of the schooner were dissatisfied and were preparing to take the case back to court, however nothing more was heard about it.
In the mid 1960s, Frank Hoffman, of Mystery Ship fame, located the Jennibell and intended to raise the hull for use as a museum (which he later did with the schooner Alvin Clark). Members of his group attempted to raise her on their own. They brought a barge and crane on sight, and strung cables underneath the hull in a two cable cradle. As the vessel was being lifted off the bottom, the hull sagged in the center and broke in two. The Jennibell was listed in the 1876 List of Merchant Vessels of the U.S. as a schooner of 132.82 tons. While spelling of the name varies from book to book and from paper to paper, the List of Merchant Vessels spells the name with tow E's, two N's, two L's, one I, — one word. One book even listed it as the "Jane Bell", and while there was indeed a vessel by that name that sailed on the bay for a short time, it ultimately moved to another part of the Great Lakes. Door County Advocate, September, 22, 1881. Door County Advocate, November 16, 1882. Door County Advocate, February 26, 1885. William Eckert, personal Interview, June 14, 1986. List of Merchant Vessels of the U.S., 1876, p. 138.

« Back to Wild Gales and Tattered Sails

Last modified: Tuesday, 30-Sep-2003 18:22:34 PDT